Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ecce Homo after Caravaggio - Acrylic Study of Ecce Homo Behold Man on Canvas by Pennsylvania Daily Painter Pat Koscienski

Ecce Homo after Caravaggio
20x16
Acrylic
Ecce Homo was painted by Caravaggio c. 1604-5 and was done with oil on canvas. My rendition was painted in acrylic on canvas after Caravaggio...the upper left and lower right-hand corners of the photo is reflecting natural light from the window (it is much darker on the painting itself). It was done for Michelle Burnett's Challenge Following the Masters. This last challenge was to study the Italian Renaissance and choose a Master of that period and either paint something of that artist or a portion of it, or try to apply their technique to one of ours. I chose to paint this, not only for this challenge, but also to enter in the upcoming Easter Exhibit at Art and Soul Gallery in Lemoyne, Pennsylvania. This themed art exhibit entitled "Palm Sunday through Resurrection" will run run from Saturday, March 27th, 2010 to April 24, 2010. The opening reception will be Saturday, March 27th, 2010 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. This gallery is located at the West Shore Farmer's Market, 2nd floor, 900 Market Street, Lemoyne, PA. If you are in the area, stop in for some light refreshments. To see more of my work, both representational and abstract, visit my website at:

7 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Pat, I instantly recognized that man in the background. That says something wonderful about your Caravaggio piece. Beautiful work and I wish you luck in the exhibit.

Linda Popple said...

Wow! You tackled a difficult painting. Good job!!

Pat Koscienski said...

Thanks, Autumn and Linda. Doing something like this really makes me appreciate what the artist went through to paint such a great painting. I think it would take me a whole year to correct all the issues that I see in my rendition. LOL

Cindi said...

pat, beautiful painting.. following the masters is sure fun, isnt it.. not only seeing how the masters painted.. but i learn something with every one.. now if could just remember it...lol

Pat Koscienski said...

Thanks, Cindi, I totally agree with you on both points. Learning all these new things about the masters is fantastic...and to be able to apply all of what we learn would be even more fantastic. LOLOL

Rosemary said...

Oh Pat, what a wonderful painting! I find flesh tones in acrylic extremely difficult and you did an amazing job! Sure wish I could be there this afternoon for the reception! Best of luck with the exhibit!

Pat Koscienski said...

Hi Rosemary, you are right about doing flesh tones in acrylics. I use Chroma Interactive acrylics which are resoluble when rewetted. They do make it easier to blend, much like oils. They have really changed my thinking about using acrylics.