Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lotus and Loosestrife - Impressionistic Acrylic Plein Aire Palette Knife Landscape by Pennsylvania Daily Painter Pat Koscienski


Lotus and Loosestrife
8" x 10"
Acrylic

I was painting at Wildwood Wetlands on Wednesday with our group, the Susquehanna Valley Plein Air Painters, to try to get the yellow lotus and purple loosestrife before they make their exit for the year. I tried another palette knife piece, a little larger this time. I'd like to go even larger, but don't know about how to handle the amount of paint I would have to put out. A lot of interested people stop to talk, and acrylics can dry on you fast, especially when there is a breeze. I've tried using the wet palette, but that can liquify my paint and I want the full body consistency for the knife work. If you have any questions, or wish to purchase, contact Pat at patsfineart@hotmail.com If interested in viewing more of my paintings, please visit my website at:

8 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Pat, this is just incredible. I love the planes of color in the painting, and the way they guide you right through the scene. This is a wonderful piece!

Nancy Everett said...

Very nice! so loose and colorful!

Pat Koscienski said...

Thank you, Claire and Nancy. I really appreciate your comments.

Autumn Leaves said...

Pat, I find this piece absolutely gorgeous! You always leave me awed.

Carol DeMumbrum said...

I love your use of the palette knife. I have a hard time getting my paint very thick on my paintings, so maybe I should use the palette knife more often. Love the beautiful colors!

Pat Koscienski said...

Thanks, Autumn for your wonderful remarks.

Pat Koscienski said...

Do try the knife, Carol. I have tried both acrylic and oil with the knife, and can truly say I do like working with the oil much better.

JeMA said...

Pat, I was so glad to have stumbled upon your blog and your work. This one caught my eye, I love the texture and the reflections in the water!